I thought I would share how to cook a turkey for those of you who aren’t sure how or are looking to cook a turkey for the shredded meat. I love cooking a full turkey and shredding the meat and dividing it into 1 cup portions and putting it into the freezer for when I need it for casseroles or other dishes that call for shredded turkey or chicken. When I do this I usually don’t add the stuffing but rather just leave the cavity empty. I got this recipe from my mom and it has worked out perfectly for me every time.
- 12 – 15 lb. turkey (6 – 7.5 kg)
1. Wash turkey and take out giblets.
2. Stuff with stuffing (see recipe below).
3. Put crust pieces on ends to close.
4. Put bird in roaster* and generously salt both sides of the turkey and dot with dabs of butter.
5. Bake covered: (you can use any of the time suggestions below that work for your schedule)
- 8 hours at 275F
- 6 hours at 300F
- 4 hours at 350F
Note* If you don’t have a turkey roaster you could just buy a tin/disposable roasting pan and cover the turkey with foil.
- 1 loaf of bread, diced (approximately; to fill a large Tupperware bowl)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons dried sage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
1. Mix first 5 ingredients.
2. Drizzle in cream and mix until it feels moist enough to clump together.
3. Pour butter over and mix. Squish.