I tried HBH Brown Sage-Butter Chicken Pot Pie (which you can see in my pictures) from the HBH Super Simple book but it just didn’t compare to my mom’s recipe. It is too good not to share her recipe instead so you are in for a treat! The HBH recipe was just so runny/soupy, while my mom’s is nice and rich and creamy! So below you will get the recipe for my mom’s Chicken Pot Pie. It is 100% foolproof and my absolutely favourite meal to eat during fall/winter. It also freezes very well so you can add this recipe to your list of freezer meals 🙂 I hope you guys enjoy!
Time: 30 min – 1 hour to prep + 15 – 20 min cook time
Yield: 6 servings
Calories/Serving: 304 – 354 (depends on your crust topping of choice)
- 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups chicken broth*
- 3 cups cooked cubed chicken or turkey**
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (depends how much veg you like)
- Bisquick biscuits or puff pastry or pie crust***
- Cook onions in butter until tender (not brown).
- Blend in flour and salt. Stir in broth. Cook & stir until thickened and bubbling.
- Add cooked chicken or turkey and veggies. Heat until bubbling.
- Pour into a casserole dish and top with biscuits, puff pastry, or pie pastry.
- Bake at 450F for 15 – 20 min until topping is cooked/brown.
*I usually use chicken Bovril to make broth which you can find here.
**I cannot emphasize how invaluable having cooked shredded turkey in your freezer is. We always buy turkeys, cook, shred them and then divide them into bags for the freezer to have later for meals exactly like this. It will help cut down on prep time. If you have to cook and cut up the chicken it will increase prep time.
*** This is entirely personal preference. I prefer puff pastry because it doesn’t take as long to cook and cuts down on prep time. Biscuits will take time to prepare and when I use pie pastry I find it hard to get it to fully cooked underneath because it’s touching the wet pie.
Freeze option: If you plan on freezing this meal put the pot pie in a casserole dish. If using puff pastry or pie pastry you can put the topping on the chicken mixture and cover and freeze it. If you are making biscuits I would wait until actually cooking the chicken pie. When ready to eat pull out chicken pie to thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter. Cook at 450F for 20-30 min until bubbling. Then I would put on the biscuits and bake for another 15 min. until the biscuits look done. For the pie and puff pastry I would do a similar time of 35 – 45 min total but watching to see when the crust browns.
- Deep frying pan
- Mixing spoon
- Cutting board
- Casserole dish
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY – EASY
- Steps: 5
- Rating: Easy
- 30 min – 1 hour of prep (1 hour if you have to cook the chicken, only 30 minutes if you already have cooked turkey or chicken on hand)
- Rating: Easy – Moderate
- Ingredients & availability
- 8 ingredients
- All ingredients are normal and you can easily find at your local grocery store
- Rating: Easy