This recipe is great if you have leftover chicken or shredded turkey in your freezer! The sweet and savoury filling inside pie pastry is so delicious! Pair with your favourite salad and you have yourself a meal! You can also freeze leftover turnovers and then just pop them in the oven or microwave to eat later.
Time: 45 min prep + Bake 20 min. = 1 hour 5 min.
Yield: 8 turnovers
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken (or turkey)
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews or peanuts
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425F. In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Divide dough into eight portions.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 5-in. circle. Place about 1/4 cup filling on one side. Moisten edges of pastry with water. Fold dough over filling; press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with egg. Cut 1/2-in. slits in top of each. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Slap chop
- Mixing spoons/cups
- Cutting board
- Rolling pin
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY – EASY
- Steps: 3
- Rating: Easy
- 45 min prep
- Rating: Moderate
- Ingredients & availability
- 10 ingredients
- All ingredients are normal and you can easily find at your local grocery store
- Rating: Easy