So my cousin had this great idea where we could cook a dish from a different country each week. A few weeks ago it was India and I chose Chicken Tikka Masala. This recipe comes from Half Baked Harvest, which if you haven’t been able to tell by now I just love her stuff. This recipe is so easy and delicious. The only tip I will give is to definitely add 1/2 cup curry paste not 1/4 cup. I did 1/4 cup and the flavour was a little too mild in my opinion. Otherwise a great easy weeknight recipe! Enjoy 🙂
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY – EASY
- Steps: 4
- Rating: Easy
- 30 minutes of prep
- Rating: Easy
- Ingredients & availability
- 15 ingredients
- All ingredients you can find at your local grocery store
- Rating: Moderate
- Blender or food processor
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons/cups
- Spoon (for peeling ginger)
- Can opener
- Rice cooker or sauce pot
- Cheese grater (for lemon)
- Bowl or gallon-size zip-top bag (for marinating chicken)
- Large high-sided skillet with lid
- Mixing spoon
Time: 30 min. prep + 30 min. cook = 1 hour total
Yield: 6 servings
Calories/Serving: ~ 314 (not including rice)
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1 shallot, halved (1)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 (1-inch) pieces of fresh ginger, peeled (2)
- 3 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 (403 ml) can full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (156ml) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups cooked rice, for serving
- Make the curry paste. In a blender or food processor, combine the onion, shallot, garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric, salt, red pepper flakes, and lemon zest and pulse until a smooth paste forms, about 1 minute.
- Make the chicken. In a gallon-size zip-top bag, combine 2 tablespoons of the curry paste, the chicken, and the yogurt. Seal the bag and massage the mixture into the chicken to cover completely. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate up to overnight.
- Heat a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup (use to your taste) of the curry paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the marinated chicken, coconut milk, and tomato paste. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve the chicken over rice.
(1) I just used extra onion because usually I can only find shallots for purchase in a bag and I only ever want one.
(2) I learned you can peel ginger with a spoon! It actually works pretty well! You can also freeze fresh ginger once peeled and then use it later in recipes. If you don’t want to use fresh you can use 1/4 tsp of ground.
I got this recipe from Half Baked Harvest. You can find the original HERE.