These scones are fantastic! Definitely do the lemon curd! I got a recipe for one HERE and it works well for me. These are a great recipe for a summer breakfast treat and for using fresh strawberries that come in June!
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY – EASY – MODERATE
- Steps: 4
- Rating: Easy
- 30. min prep
- Rating: Moderate
- Ingredients & availability
- 10 ingredients
- All ingredients you can easily find at any grocery store
- Rating: Easy
- Mixing bowls
- Cutting board
- Basting brush
Time: 30 min. prep + 20 – 25 min. bake = 55 min. total
Calories/scone: ~ 305
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsps. sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cream (half and half, table, heavy, etc. all will work)
- sugar or sanding sugar
- cream (any cream will do)
- lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With pastry blender (or hands or food processor), cut in butter cubes until mixture has coarse crumbs. Gently add strawberries and the lemon zest. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs and cream. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Gently stir until moistened.
- Place dough onto a well floured surface. Gently knead the dough by folding and pressing it quite a few times, turning the dough a quarter turn after each fold. Move dough to a lightly floured parchment-lined baking sheet (or stoneware baking sheet without parchment). Pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick circle. Cut circle into wedges and separate each slightly.
- Brush wedges with cream and sprinkle with sanding sugar or regular sugar. Bake 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown. Drizzle scones with lemon curd.